Thursday, October 7, 2010

A few people have been complaining about my lack of blogs.. again.. so I thought I would give you a little something!
Everything down here is still going good. We passed our 6 month mark in country and our 4 months as volunteers. It’s weird to think about how long its been and the fact we are almost ¼ of the way through!! Time is flying!
School is going really well! Peace Corps always makes sure to tell us that community can be anything we think, it isn’t nessiarlaly your village or city, it might be the area you live in or where you work. I guess I heard that but never really thought about it. All along I have been considering Hopkins my community and feeling kinda like I wasn’t doing a great job getting to into it. Today I came to a different conclusion. My community is my school. The 18 teachers I work with everyday are my community. Today was the first day that I truly felt that I was part of it. At lunch we were getting together to eat and hang out and celebrate the birthdays for Sept. This was Mr. Coleman and myself. Yesterday I note went around to everyone reminding them that we were getting together for Mr. Coleman’s birthday. I wasn’t surprised or hurt or anything. After all I’m not a teacher. Well today at the lunch Mr. Coleman himself made a point to correct everyone and make sure everyone knew that It was also my birthday this past month. We sat and ate and laughed than it was time for cake. Mr. Coleman and I had to cut the cake and we decided to dance while doing so. Well actually after I bought up the point that it was probably best if I didn’t dance with a knife in my head, they agreed (they have seen me fall or trip a number or times ) just goes to show you how well they already know me! After we ate this amazing cake we heading out for afternoon classes.
Next week I have to go to a in-service training with my counterpart Wayne. Today we had to go through some things to get ready for it. We spend the entire afternoon having very frank honest conversations in the office. It was amzing, we talked about the village, the teachers, social issues, social divides, eduation, and what we need to do or can do. It was amazing. It was the first time I really felt that someone from Hopkins really trusted me, like I was “in”. AMAZING!
Only to get better after school I headed to the standard 6 room. Hilton’s room. He is one teacher that I have spent some time with and really enjoy talking to. Plus he has the cutest shyest 5 year old I’ve ever met and I’m slowly convincing her that we are going to be friends! There are have been a few days that I have went and hung out and helped him in his room and then we will walk home together. When this happens it’s the highlight of my day. Today was one of those days. I helped him hang some posters and then we walked home (he lives right down the street) together. On the way home he confused that his teaching was too “boring” and that he needed some creative ideas and could I help? Umm of course!!!! I would love too!!! This whole Peace Corps thing wouldn’t work if I walked into school and starting throwing ideas around, but once someone trusts you enough to ask for help or invite you into their classroom!! That’s what I’m waiting for!!
It’s days like today that remind me why I’m here, why I left all my family and friends and everything I knew behind. Sometimes I need that reminder and I’m always so thankful when I get them!
As for this weekend? I’m planning on heading to town in the morning to pick up a few things for the house and some money! Then I plan on sleeping, reading, and relaxing the rest! Should be good!
Also! My roommate moved out!!!! AHHHHH!!!! So excited!! Zach is coming down next weekend to help me paint and then Laura is coming to the next to help..do whatever is left? Haha so in a few short weeks I should have new pictures of my house once it’s been kimed! I CAN’T WAIT!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I almost didn't click the blog tonight and so glad I did. It sure added to our day to hear from you and all the amazing things that are happening in your life in Belize. I will be looking forward to pictures of your house after you redo it. Love ya very much
    Grandma and Grandpa

    ReplyDelete