Tuesday, June 1, 2010

First work day as a offical PCV!!

Warning: this post is in no way trying to make anyone feel bad for me or give me any sympathy! (not that you would) also, I am ok!

So my first official day as a volunteer!
this morning I went to school and watched a few teachers, it was great. Right before lunch I was talking to the principle and realized I didn't know Hopkins and had seen hardly any of it! We realized I would have to fix this! I took the afternoon off (I'm mainly working with reading and they do all the language arts in the AM). I was going to go explore! Now in Hopkins there is really only one street. It goes along the beach and I heard is 12 miles.. but I'm thinking.. 5? my host family lives down on the south side. Almost to the end of town. so I walked down to the end of town and met some really nice people! It was great! than I turned around and headed to the main part of town (meaning the police station and bus stop). On the way right in front of my school I saw the internet Cafe! Yes! I found internet in Hopkins! Oh wait! before I got there I may or may not (ok I did) have fallen HARD! My stupid ankles gave out and I bite it! but the road here are so bad.. I knew as soon as I fell it was bad. my ankle is sore but will be fine in a few days. my knee however isn't there is a one inch cube chunk out of my knee and some REALLY deep cuts. (once again.. laugh! don't feel bad) I have this history of falling everywhere but normally I have other volunteers to take pics and laugh and walk me home.. this time I was on my own! I walked back to my host families crying and blood oozing out.. it was gross. Here's the good news I got to see the health clinic! It's nice too! haha my host mom took one look and said we were going! a short mile walk down the beach and we were there! The nurse fixed me up! No stitches, cause its my knee. But I have to go back everyday to get the dressing changed! haha.. My first official day on the job! Winner!!!! As I was sitting in the health clinic crying as they dug out rocks, I was reminded by a nurse that I just needed to laugh. (I have never met her but she remembered me laughing last week)and after I remembered that I laughed for a good hour. Only me! The good news is I now know where to go when (not if) I fall again!!!

Now does anyone know how to get blood out of my shoes??? :)

7 comments:

  1. Kim, I was so glad to see another note on here till I read it. I am very sorry you had such a fall but glad you have a good attitude about it and you are doing ok. I had a trick ankle like that when I was young but I outgrew it so you will too. Take Care now. Love, Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Complete ditto (the first part, at least) to your Grandma's comment above! It was so exciting to see you posted again so quickly... until I realized that you fell and had to go to the hospital. Hope you have a quick recovery and try not to fall on your 2nd day ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I recall correctly, I fell off my bike and walked the mile home bloody and crying when i was little...oh wait. i was 19. By the way, I'm laughing at you, but only because you told me to of course :) :) :) I hope you get a kick-butt lightening bolt scar or something at least....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Grief Kim! I was kind of wondering how long you could go without an injury:) haha My girls have more activity marks on their legs than little kids:)!!!! Well sorry I can't kiss it and make it better for you! Hope you are doing ok. Should I send your ankle brace in my next package? Or maybe two just in case? I will try to keep from worrying about you so keep us updated! Love you! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. HAHAHAHAHA. I don't feel bad laughing at all! You are the only person I know that has body parts that give out at the most inconvienient of times! I remember a particular time in my mind that makes me laugh so hard that I cry. Maybe you should invest in some roller blading gear? Like a helmet, knee pads, etc. Haha seriously. But I hope you are feeling better and your wounds are healing. Next time, stop drop and roll. Love, Jenny.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alright guys, I'll give you a quick update. I have eben in Belmopan for the past two days. I came yesterday to have the nurse look at it and its infected so I ended up staying the night so she could dress it again today. I'm also coming back Monday and Tuesday so she can look at it again. I did have x-rays and nothing is broke so I'll be fine!!! Plus I got good pain meds! Don't worry PC is taking care of me!!! Also good news! My computer is in country and I'll get it Monday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I (like Jen) do not feel at all bad laughing at this. I can just imagine it all, just wish I could have been there to see it in person. Have I ever told you how much I love seeing people fall. I know its not exactly the best thing to enjoy considering that I work in health care and all but just somehting about it makes me crack up every time! Glad to hear you survived with not serisous injuries, now just get rid of that infection (you get more infections then anyone I know) and you will be good as new. Hope week 2 of being official is off to a safer start!

    ReplyDelete