Monday, June 28, 2010

Fake hurricanes and tropical storms

First off I wanted to let everyone in the states know that I'm fine! I survived my very first tropical storm! Actually it wasn't bad at all but I'll get to that...
For the past few weeks that has been this rumor going around that there was going to be a fake hurricane, or a hurricane drill. Actually not to brag... but I may have been the one who put all the clues together and figured this out...
Anyway, last week I was busy at school for the first time, we were getting ready for graduation (graduation from primary school is kind of a big deal here. Early is the week we started getting texts from Peace Corps saying there was a hurricane (called Zeus) 900 miles off shore. Throughout the week it got closer and closer. First we were put on alert, than stand fast. In stand fast we aren't allowed to leave our sites and PC must know where we are at all times. Finally on Wed we got the call to head in to Belmopan to consolidate. When there is a big storm or something other safety concern we are moved into a hostel in Belmopan (which is inland) to make sure everyone is together and safe. Thursday morning we had a short meeting and talked about how this would work in a real storm. Friday I headed to Placentia with a bunch of other volunteers for a mini vacation. However this was short lived as we got a call that Tropical story Alex was on his way and we need to leave ASAP. They sent me to dangrigia to stay with another volunteer (Dangrigia is also on the coast but unlike Hopkins they have buses out all the time. Tropical storm Alex was no big deal where we were. There was a little flooding but there have been much worse storms since I have been here. Sunday morning we were given the all clear and headed home. So now I know exactly what to do in a hurricane and lived through my first tropical storm. All in all a pretty busy week. :)
This week school is out and I'm doing a whole lot of relaxing. I'm still living with my host family. My host mom just left for Mexico for a few days and two of my sisters are in Belmopan with their brother. Heather is home with me for a few days for summer school. I was supposed to move to my new house tomorrow but now it is Thursday so Heather isn't by herself. I'm going to miss my host family, I couldn't have asked for a better one. Luckily I'm going to live in the same village as them for 23 more months and can and will visit often. This summer I have a few things happening, I'm doing a reading camp in July with my counterpart and perhaps and a chess camp after that. Really the next 2 months are all about getting to know Hopkins and the people of Hopkins, and perhaps a new hobby....
All is well down here; still sweating more than I ever thought was possible... Life is good!
I'll write more later I just wanted everyone to know that I'm all good!

1 comment:

  1. I called your Mom Sunday so knew you were all right and had been to an inland town. It's always so good to get some news on here. I sent a letter snail mail but forgot to number it, would just be #2. We are fine here.
    hugs and Love, Grandma and Grandpa

    ReplyDelete