Friday, December 10, 2010

It's been awhile...

So it was pointed out that I haven’t updated this is three weeks. Sorry about that. I haven’t been online much and when I do have free time I’ve been spending it in my hammock with a good book, or 5.
Everything is still going really well, I love this village a little more every day. Well Let’s start with the 19th of November.

November 19th is a national holiday, Its Garifuna settlement day. Since Hopkins is one of only a few Garifuna communities it’s a BIG deal here. It is celebrating the Garifuna people coming to Belize, after being exiled off of St. Vincent. On the 18th we had a rally at school, we sent some boys out in dories (canoes) to reenact the arrival. After we paraded back to school while singing and dancing and drumming. We than watched some Punta (traditional Garifuna dancing) and had some guest speakers. After we paraded around the village. We got a truck with huge speakers and danced through the streets it was a blast. After we came back to school and all the classes got to have some traditional Garifuna food (there a few different dishes most made out of ripe plantain or banana.) That night I had a few other volunteers come in to celebrate it. While it’s a national holiday there are really event in the Garifuna communities. Unfortunately it poured all night so the village was pretty dead, everyone deciding to stay in or head to Dangriga, where it was raining but had artist still playing.
Friday morning we woke up early and although it was still raining went to watch the real reenactment. It was cool. There were 2 boats with like 20 people and they came in and were turned away by a English guy just like when they came originally. They tried again and finally were allowed to stay. There was drumming and singing which lead us right into church. We than had a church service. It was all in Garifuna and about 2 hours. However I loved it. The Garifuna hymn and amazing and beautiful. I’m even learning a few!
After church we headed home and made some lunch! Yum! In the afternoon Molly and Jenna had to head out but 2 other volunteers showed up out of nowhere! Awesome! We saw Molly and Jenna off and than hung out for a bit. Later in the evening I got a call from Hilton (a teacher at my school) and he informed me that they were parading and where was I?? so we hurried up and caught up with the parade. I pretty much ditched my volunteer friends and danced with some of my students than joined some of the teachers. This parade conveniently stopped right off on the beach. They started drumming and dancing started. At first I was just standing with my friend Miles and Alison and Hilton and Wayne. But soon they were convincing me to dance. And so I did. I talked to lots of people and lots of kids laughed at me. By far I felt the most intergraded I had since I got to Belize.
The rest of that weekend was uneventful, mainly because the village was recovering from Friday night. The next week was thanksgiving and while my first big holiday away was hard I was fortunate enough to spend it with a lot of my new peace corps family. Monday we had a district dinner in Dangriga. The staff at the peace corps office donated a turkey for us and it was wonderful. Later on Thursday I headed up north to have another amazing dinner on Friday. There were about 30 of there included three staff member who made the drive up to celebrate with us. It was nice and I think really needed for all of us. There was a small group of us who spend the night and stayed up chatting. The rest of the weekend I spent in the north just hanging out. Monday it was off to Belmopan. We had a two day workshop for all the education volunteers. It was cool to get some good idea from each other.
Wednesday I headed home to Hopkins and haven’t left since. I love it. I love really being able to spend time here and not feeling guilty for missing school again for another meeting.
Unfortunately we got some bad news this week. One of the teacher’s mom, passed on last weekend. I went to the wake on Tuesday and the Funeral on Wednesday. It’s been a long, hard week. Although, I’m really glad I got to be here. This week really made me realize how important the guys I teach with have become to me. They are thoughtful, caring, strong family men and I feel always so honored when I get to walk around with them. They are now part of my family; they watch out for me and laugh not only with me but at me. They include me into this community and make me feel like I belong here just as much as they do. It’s amazing feeling that I wish I could communicate better. But I supposed that like the quote “the best feelings have no words”
I meant to bring some pictures to post but forgot so I guess that means you get another entry next week :)

No comments:

Post a Comment